Wednesday 20 April 2016

PLANNING: WHY I CHOSE WARP

Warp Films is an independent film and television production company based in Sheffield & London. Warp Films was established by Warp Records founding partners Rob Mitchell and Steve Beckett.

Similarly, Vertigo Films is a British film production and film distribution company based in London, England. Vertigo Films has been responsible, for the production and distribution of Bronson, StreetDance 3D and Monsters.

When looking into which distributer would be best to distribute our film, I looked into both of the independent distributers because that would be the most realistic approach for my film and which would have the most effective distribution techniques to our films to reach our target audience. The two companies that I looked at choosing was Warp and Vertigo. I researched what genre films each of the two companies distribute and work with. This would give me a better idea of which distributer would be best for my film. 

My film opening is based on a sociopathic photographer who has unreachable standards in his work and in his personal life which results in him acting in this way. This short summary shows that my film would be a psychological thriller. Therefore, I think that Warp Films would be the best distributer for our film because they tend to work more with thrillers and would know how to properly distribute our film.

Warp distributes films which are usually critically acclaimed and get nominated for awards. An example of this is the film '71' (which I saw when visiting the BFI). Despite the film being a low budget film, '71' got nominated for 8 British Independent Film Awards and won for Best Director. This example fits perfectly with our film as '71' has a niche audience because of the controversy and the violence which relates to our film through it being a thriller as well. This shows that they were able to reach the right target audience of a triller film and distribute it well. Whereas, Vertigo produces films which are for a larger and mainstream audiences, such as 'Monsters' and 'StreetDance 3D' which would have a wider audience than our film and may not target the right audience

Therefore, I decided to pick Warp Films to distribute our film from my reasoning listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment